The History of Humphreys
In 1853, Dr. Humphreys became one of the leading homeopathic physicians in New York. His achievements included being Chairman of the American Institute of Homeopathy’s “Bureau for the Augmentation and Improvement of the Materia Medica” of the American Institute of Homeopathy. During this time he also helped to establish what came to be known as The New York State Homeopathic Medical Society.
As one of his most pivotal and significant contributions to homeopathic medicine, Dr. Humphreys introduced his finding of homeopathic “combinations” and coined the term “Homeopathic Specifics.” The value of combination preparations was that they offered, in a single dose, what traditional homeopathic physicians would prescribe by the individual ingredient, or “singles.”
This approach made it easy for homeopaths to diagnose and self-prescribe without the need to worry about a host of traditional concerns, including content or potency selection. In 1854, The Humphreys Homeopathic Medicine Co. was established (later incorporated under the name “Humphreys Pharmacal”) and began to market his namesake products, Humphreys Homeopathic Specifics. These preparations, along with Dr. Humphreys’ belief in natural healing, continue to be the basis for our both our homeopathic and skincare products.